England and Scotland battled out a 0-0 draw at a rain-soaked Wembley in their eagerly anticipated Euro 2020 group game.

England’s John Stones hit the post in the first half and Scotland had a shot cleared off the line as the visitors earned a deserved first point in the tournament

The result means England still need at least a point from their last game against the Czech Republic on Tuesday to qualify for the last 16 while Scotland still harbour hopes of progressing.

England changed both their full-backs before their battle against Scotland, with manager Gareth Southgate putting in Luke Shaw and Reece James to replace Kieran Trippier and Kyle Walker – the latter missing out on the squad altogether.

A mix of booing and cheering could be heard at the start of the game as both sets of players took a knee ahead of kick-off.

Having initially said they would not take the knee, the visitors changed their minds and – despite both sets of supporters booing their rivals’ national anthems – the reaction to the anti-racism gesture was the most positive of recent games, with cheers drowning out barely audible booing.

England came close to a goal in the 11th minute of the Euro 2020 match when John Stones headed the ball against the post and again shortly after when Mason Mount came close following a mistake by Scotland midfielder Scott McTominay.

More on Euro 2020

Scotland’s Kieran Tierney shot 25 minutes into the match from around 25-yards but it flew wide of the goal, leaving England’s goalkeeper Jordan Pickford untested.

Scotland’s first big moment of the night came when they nearly scored on the half-hour mark after Kieran Tierney overlapped Andy Robertson and sent in a deep cross.

Fellow teammate Stephen O’Donnell caught it on the volley but Jordan Pickford made a strong save to claw it out.

By half-time, both teams had failed to score, with away fans sounding far happier in the stands as the whistle blew for the interval.

The teams set off to an intense start of the second half, with Mason Mount getting England’s first on-target shot, hitting the ball towards the near post but Scotland’s goalkeeper David Marshall managed to keep it out.

Stephen O’Donnell curled a delightful cross into the area which nearly reaches Lyndon Dykes but Tyrone Mings leaps to make an important headed clearance.

England’s Phil Foden was replaced by Jack Grealish shortly after the second half began, who made an immediate impact by winning a corner on his first time on the ball.

A possible penalty got England fans excited in the 79th minute after Sterling fell to the floor after a challenge by Scotland’s defender Robertson, but the referee was not interested and did not feel the need to call for VAR.

Articles You May Like

All it took was a few lines of code and millions of machines were dead – the risks of complexity
Crypto stocks like Coinbase and MicroStrategy soar, mirroring rally in bitcoin
Jay Slater’s mum asks for more fundraising support to give teen a ‘send-off’
‘I had God on my side’: Trump speaks about assassination attempt – for first and last time
Game Of Thrones author ‘iced’ out of sci-fi convention’s line-up