Clapham chemical attack suspect could die if injuries untreated – last sighting near Vauxhall Bridge


Police have said the Clapham chemical attack suspect’s injuries could be “fatal” if they remain untreated – as they revealed he was last seen crossing Vauxhall Bridge at 11pm and then walking along the river on the night of the incident.

In an update a week on from the attack, officers said the victim is still sedated in hospital and is “too poorly to speak” due to her “significant injuries”.

Detectives are treating the attack as attempted murder of the 31-year-old woman.

Abdul Ezedi manhunt latest: Suspect could die from injuries, police say

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

CCTV of the suspected acid attacker

A £20,000 reward is on offer for information leading to the arrest of Abdul Shokoor Ezedi, who police have described as “dangerous”.

He has not been to hospital and hospitals remain on high alert.

Officers said they have got to 11pm on Wednesday 31 January on the night of the attack on CCTV, where he was seen crossing Vauxhall Bridge and walking on to Grosvenor Road.

More on Clapham Chemical Attack

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

New CCTV of Clapham chemical attack suspect has been released

He has been on the run since the attack involving a corrosive alkaline substance on Lessar Avenue near Clapham Common a week ago.

Twelve people were injured, including a mother, and her two daughters, aged three and eight. The mother’s injuries are thought to be “life-changing” and she could lose the sight in her right eye.

Ezedi is not the father of her children, who have left hospital.

Search for Clapham chemical attack suspect Abdul Ezedi expanded
Clapham chemical attack suspect Abdul Ezedi

Police believe he has received help from others to stay undetected.

A 22-year-old man was arrested on Monday on suspicion of assisting an offender. He was taken into custody and later released on bail as police continued to investigate.

The Metropolitan Police manhunt for Ezedi has been assisted by the British Transport Police and officers with Northumbria Police in Newcastle, where he lived.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

How did Clapham chemical attack unfold?

Read more:
Bishop defends churches helping asylum seekers in wake of chemical attack suspect case
Ezedi manhunt police arrest man for assisting an offender

A team of more than 100 officers has been dedicated to the investigation.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Met’s 24/7 hotline on 020 7175 2784 – or for an immediate sighting dial 999.

Police have previously warned Ezedi could be dangerous and should not be approached.

Police are analysing Ezedi’s mobile phone, which was found in the car involved in the incident to establish the relationship between him and the victim.

But the fact that he no longer has it is making finding him harder.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Clapham attack suspect was ‘quiet’ neighbour

They are not sure how long Ezedi has known the woman injured in the attack or if they were in a relationship, but have said it is vital for them to understand how they knew each other.

A close relative of the suspect has told Sky News they were in a relationship.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.

Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

You can receive Breaking News alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News App. You can also follow @SkyNews on X or subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.

Articles You May Like

What happened in the Commons yesterday – and can the Speaker be sacked?
SolarEdge tumbles on weak first-quarter guidance
Speaker apologises after Commons descends into chaos over ceasefire votes
Ride-hailing giant Grab posts first profitable quarter, announces $500 million share buyback
AT&T cellular outage in United States disrupts vital services